Many people don’t concern themselves with finding a reputable plumber. More often than not, this is because most people don’t think about hiring a plumber at all until they have to deal with a plumbing emergency. However, the last thing you want to do is hire someone that ends up doing a poor job repairing your plumbing, which could eventually just lead to yet another plumbing emergency. The following are a few tips to help you find a reputable plumber that will do high quality work:
- Ask friends and family – The easiest way to find a good plumber is by asking friends or family members for a recommendation. If they can’t recommend a good plumber, they could possibly tell you what plumbers to avoid.
- Ask your real estate agent – The real estate agent who helped you purchase your home might be able to recommend a plumber as well as any other subcontractors that are needed.
- Ask a builder or contractor – Contractors deal with plumbers on a regular basis due to the nature of their work. If you know a builder or contractor, they may be able to inform you about several different plumbers, how much they will cost and the quality of their work.
- Ask for a license number – When speaking to a plumber, make sure to ask for their plumber’s license number. You’ll want to make sure that they are fully licensed to work within your city.
- Ask about service warranties – To avoid hiring someone who will do a shoddy job repairing your problem, ask about service warranties. Plumbers that won’t guarantee their work for a period that is acceptable to you should probably be avoided. You don’t want to pay to have the same problem fixed twice, after all. Good plumbers stand behind their work and will provide a service warranty, which means that if their repairs fail, they will come re-fix the problem for free.
- Compare estimates – Don’t just call a random plumber and hire them on the spot. Ask for an estimate on the work you need done, then call around in order to compare estimates. This isn’t always possible, especially if the problem has occurred in a ceiling or within a closed wall. In this case, ask for a worst-case scenario estimate.
Be sure to keep these tips in mind when looking for a good plumber in your area.